So yesterday I was craving some sort of baked good. Sadly, my baking pantry was lacking in the ingredients department though, so I had to improvise a bit. When deciding what to bake, I took a look around to see what I actually had and calling my name on my counter were 2 and 1/2 small spotted bananas just begging to be used. Right away, I thought that I could make a banana bread! But.. I had no flour. I did have rolled oats though! Hmmmm..
I decided to try a little experiment and it completely satisfied my baked goods craving! The bread turned out more dense than what you’d typically get with a banana bread recipe, but it was oh so very moist inside and had a wonderful, crispy crust. It was love at first bite in our house!
Oatmeal Banana Bread
What You Need:
- 2 C oat flour (grind 2 C of oats in a food processor)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 C unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2.5 small bananas; mashed (or 2 large)
What You Do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt
- In a small bowl, beat the 2 eggs and then whisk in the apple sauce, brown sugar, vanilla and mashed banana
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry only until they are combined
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan
- Bake for 1 hr (or until it passes the toothpick test)
- Cool on a wire rack
Easy as pie!
Best when enjoyed nice and hot out of the oven… especially if you’re pregnant and having a craving.